During his visit to Quail motorsport gathering 2013, Jay Leno was treated to some very special cars. He got to lead the Corvette Caravan, he got an up close look at the Cadillac Elmiraj, and then, he went on to check out and test drive the amazing Porsche 918 Spyder.
Jay’s Porsche 918 Spyder review gives you all the details you need to know about the car, plus the usual dose of Leno remarks and humor, which is frankly why we like these videos so much. He is joined by Porsche head of engineering Frank Walliser:
Porsche 918 Technical Specifications
- Body: Two-seater Spyder; carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP) monocoque interlocked with CFRP unit carrier; two-piece Targa roof; fixed roll-over protection system.
- Drivetrain: Parallel full hybrid; 4.6-litre V8 mid-engine with drysump lubrication; hybrid module with electric motor and decoupler; electric motor with decoupler and gear unit on front axle; electrical system recuperation; four cooling circuits for motors, transmission and battery; thermal management.
- Engine Power: Combined ~860 horsepower
- Suspension: Double-wishbone front axle; optional electro-pneumatic lift system on front axle; electro-mechanical power steering; multi-link rear axle with adaptive electromechanical system for individual rear wheel steering
- Brake system: High-performance hybrid brake system with adaptive recuperation; ceramic brake discs (PCCB).
- Energy supply: Lithium-ion battery with 6.8 kWh capacity (BOL nominal), 202 kW maximum power and mainscompatible plug-in charger.
- Top speed: >325 km/h
- Purely electric top speed: >150 km/h
- 0-100 km/h: under 3.0 s
- Fuel Consumption (NEDC): ~3.0 l/100 km – 70 UK mpg – 45 US mpg
- CO2 emissions: ~70 g/km
- Purely electric range: >25 km – 12 miles