Smartphone App To Remotely Control Your VolvoTuesday, June 7, 2011 13:28 by Arman Barari
Volvo has launched a new version of their OnCall app for iPhone and Android phones that provides the owners with a range of useful features.
The new software includes items like Ca Locator, which is handy if your car is so bland that you might forget where you left it, Remote door lock or vehicle health check. Owners of all new Volvo models (from model year 2012) with Volvo On Call can download the new application, free of charge, that opens up a range of connectivity possibilities via an iPhone or Android smart phone.
The app’s features:
- Car locator. The location of the car is shown on a map. There is also a digital compass that points the driver in the right direction. If necessary, the car horn and indicators can be activated to facilitate the search.
- Remote door lock. The status of all doors and windows is displayed – and the driver can lock and unlock the car with a push on the touch screen.
- Vehicle dashboard. This feature gives the driver access to a wide range of information: fuel level, remaining range to empty tank, average fuel consumption, average speed, odometer reading and trip meter reading.
- Car check. The mobile app performs a “health” check of the car, displaying information about bulbs, brake fluid level, coolant level, engine oil level and engine oil pressure.
- Driving journal. Detailed data of each trip during the last 40 days can be downloaded and stored. There is also a possibility to extract the data as an Excel file – a perfect feature for company car owners.
- Vehicle information. Basic car data such as model, registration number and VIN number are stored and can be displayed.
- Theft notification. If the car alarm is triggered, the driver is alerted via the mobile app.
- This new Volvo On Call generation still includes all the safety and security aspects that are part of the first generation.
“We design cars around people’s needs and lifestyle. Creating an intuitive and ergonomically optimised driver’s environment is part of our aim to offer a feeling of relaxed control. It is only logical that you should feel in command of your vehicle, including after you have parked it,” says Stefan Jacoby, President and CEO at Volvo Car Corporation. “The new mobile application transforms Volvo On Call from an emergency system to a useful convenience feature. It will help us boost sales of the system – and we are convinced that our ambitious plans in this connectivity field will help us attract more and more new customers in the future,” says Stefan Jacoby.