Starting from 2013, citizens of New York City are going to see this Nissan NV200 every single day for the next 10 years, as the car has been elected as NYC’s next taxi.
New York has the largest taxi fleet in all of America, so officials are quite picky when it comes to choose the vehicle for the job. Nissan managed to beat Ford in this competition by offering the NV200 which has great qualities for the task. Things like spaciousness, comfort, economy and relatively cheap price.
The NV200 Taxi will be powered by the 2.0L 4-cylinder powertrain which helps bring down the taxi fleet fuel consumption and emissions. It’ll also be specially equipped with useful items that make life easier for the passengers, such as sliding doors, handles, reading lights, mobile chargers, and…
Besides the NV fleet, Nissan will also work on a pilot program for using electric taxis in New York. They will provide up to six 100-percent electric Nissan LEAFs to taxi owners for testing in 2012 as well as the charging stations to support their use.
Nissan NV200 Taxi features:
- 2.0L 4-cylinder powertrain, engineered to enhance the emission performance and fuel efficiency of the taxi fleet;
- Ample room for four passengers and their luggage, substantially improved over current taxi models;
- A low-annoyance horn with exterior lights that indicate when the vehicle is honking, helping reduce noise pollution;
- Sliding doors with entry step and grab handles, providing easy entry and exit;
- Transparent roof panel (with shade) that will provide unique views of the city;
- Independently controlled rear air conditioning with a grape phenol-coated air filter to improve cabin air quality;
- Attractive, breathable, antimicrobial, environmentally friendly and easy-to-clean seat material that simulates the look and feel of leather;
- Overhead reading lights for passengers and floor lighting to help locate belongings;
- A mobile charging station for passengers that includes a 12V electrical outlet and two USB plugs;
- A six-way adjustable driver’s seat that features both recline and lumbar adjustments, even with a partition installed;
- Standard driver’s navigation and telematics systems.
Nissan also focused on passenger safety when designing the NV200 taxi. Key safety features include:
- Front and rear-seat occupant curtain airbags, as well as seat-mounted airbags for the front row;
- Standard traction control and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC);
- Sliding doors to reduce the risk of pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists getting struck by doors opening unexpectedly;
- Lights that alert other road users that taxi doors are opening.