They took their sweet time over this, but Tesla is finally ready to officially introduce their first-ever SUV, the Model X. While it’s not as good-looking as the Model S – the profile reminds us of the unsightly SsangYong Actyon – Tesla Model X makes up for its lack of sex appeal with genius and intellect.
The 2017 Tesla Model X – it goes into production in the second half of next year – comes with Falcon Wings rear doors. This is a prime example of Tesla being clever at the cost looking kind of silly. These doors are hugely practical and provide easy access to the second and third rows. But nobody can deny they are way too show-offy.
While the rear passenger get the dubious Falcon Wings, the front passengers of Tesla Model X benefit from a panoramic view of the sky above thanks to the largest production windscreen ever. This is way better than the normal panoramic roof you find on many cars these days, as the view it offers is only interrupted by a thing rear view mirror arm.
As for the technicalities, the Model X will launch with two versions. The 90D packs two 259 hp front and rear motors and delivers a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds, while the P90D comes with a 259 hp front and a 503hp rear motor, making possible a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds in normal and 3.2 seconds in ‘Ludicrous’ mode. Both models have all-wheel-drive and a limited top speed of 155 mph. The motors are fed by a 90 kWh battery underneath the floor, providing 250 miles of range.
Tesla Model X can be configured as a six- or seven-seater with leather seats in tan, white, or black leather. The car boasts two trunks and advanced safety features including large crumple zones and camera, radar and sonar systems. The list of the Model X’s main features is as follows:
- Falcon Wing rear doors with built in sensors for opening in garages of any height
- Automatically deploying rear spoiler
- Maps and navigation with real time traffic updates
- Daytime running lights
- Power-folding and heated side mirrors
- Front trunk with room for luggage, strollers or two golf bags
- Full size rear cargo storage for bikes and gear
- Free long distance travel on Tesla’s expanding Supercharger network
- 8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty
- Automatic keyless entry
- GPS enabled Homelink
- Parking sensors, blind spot and side collision warnings
- Automatic emergency braking
- Seating for six or seven adults depending on interior configuration
- Four LATCH child seat attachments, two in each passenger row