In a world-first, exclusive test drive of the new Mercedes AMG GT R, the guys at Sport Auto magazine took the beast back to where it was developed – its natural habitat, if you will – to set an independent Nurburgring lap record. It wasn’t a casual, motoring journo kind of lap, but a full-fat, balls-out lap record attempt with high-tech timing gear.
And the record the Mercedes AMG GT R managed to set was…
Yep, 7 minutes and 11 seconds (7.10,92 to be precise), which is did on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. This is faster than a Lexus LFA and on the par with the monstrous Gumpert Apollo. And to think the AMG has all the luxuries of a deluxe coupe… not bad at all!
Mercedes AMG GT R Highlights:
- AMG green hell magno paint job
- Wider front and rear wings for wider tracks
- New front fascia with active elements
- New rear fascia with double diffuser
- Nine-way adjustable traction control system
- Adjustable coil-over suspension
- Rear-axle limited-slip differential
- Twin-turbo V-8 front-mid engine (585 hp / 700 Nm)
- Specifically adapted seven-speed dual-clutch transmissio
- Active rear-wheel steering
- 20-inch lightweight 10-spoke wheels