Ward’s Auto announced the list of their 10 best engines this year, and it’s full of great powertrains from America, Germany, Japan, Korea and Sweden. We would love to see an AMG engine in there too! At the top of the list you have the 3.0 liter V6 of Audi S4 and BMW’s turbocharged in-line 6 as well as the Mustang GT’s 5.0 V8. Ward’s 10 Best Engines competition, which is celebrating 17th anniversary this year, is designed to recognize powertrains that set new benchmarks in their respective vehicle segments.
They clearly say that fuel efficiency and environmental friendliness are not the most important criteria for eligibility. Great!
“We have something for everybody on this year’s Ward’s 10 Best Engines list,” says Drew Winter, editor-in-chief of Ward’s AutoWorld magazine. “It’s the most diverse mix we’ve ever had, as well as the most technologically advanced.”
This year’s winners and the applications tested:
- 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
- 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i)
- 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mini Cooper S)
- 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Dodge Avenger)
- 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
- 1.4L DOHC I-4/111kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
- 5.0L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
- 80kW AC Synchronous Electric Motor (Nissan Leaf)
- 2.0L DOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta TDI)
- 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (Volvo S60)
“The one thing they have in common is they all are stand-out performers in their own way and sell the value proposition of the vehicles they power,” Winter says.