Chevrolet officially announced they will be making 69 COPO Camaros this year, to compete in NHRA’s Stock Eliminator and Super Stock classes. The turnkey dragster has a quarter-mile time in the nine-second range. COPO stands for Central Office Production Order and harks back to 1969 and Chevy’s special-order system for high-performance models.
The 2012 COPO Camaros will have matching number of the 69 “ZL-1” COPO Camaros. They will also have the same body-in-white body shells available to all racers under Chevrolet Performance part number 19243374.
The $89,000 COPO will be offered with three engines, an LS7-based naturally aspirated 427 (7.0L) V-8, a supercharged, LSX-based 327 (5.3L) V-8 featuring a 2.9L supercharger, and a supercharged, LSX-based 327 (5.3L) V-8 featuring a 4.0L supercharger.
Chevrolet says due to the overwhelming demand shown in the COPO at the last SEMA show they decided to build the car in this limited run, but there will be a special selection process to buy it. Those selected will receive a confirmation letter with instructions on how to fulfill the purchase contract, choose the engine option for their intended racing class, and take delivery.
Highlights of the new COPO Camaro program include:
- A sequenced build number matched to the engine but sold without a Vehicle Identification Number and cannot be registered for highway use
- Three racing-class engine are available, including a naturally aspirated 427 (7.0L) and two supercharged 327 (5.3L) V-8 engines
- Engine assembly at GM’s Performance Build Center, where the buyer can opt to participate in the engine assembly similar to Chevrolet’s Corvette Engine Build Experience and the Chevrolet Performance Build Your Own Crate Engine programs
- Engines pairing with a Powerglide automatic transmission designed for drag racing
- Five colors: Flat Black, Summit White, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic and Ashen Gray Metallic
- A COPO graphics package similar to the one introduced on the concept vehicle available in Metallic White, Semi-Gloss Black, Inferno Orange Metallic and Chevy Racing Blue
- Pricing starting at $89,000
- A special collector’s package offering the purchase of all three engines with the COPO Camaro – including one installed in the car at delivery – with each engine serial number matched to the car