A few days ahead of its official debut at the Los Angeles International Auto Show and at the Tokyo Motor Show, Mercedes releases the first images and details of new V12-powered super saloon based on the S-Class W222, the 2014 S65 AMG. This is the third-gen S65 AMG, and naturally it is more powerful and more luxurious than ever.
The S65 comes only a few months after the introduction of the S63 AMG. That is because the new S-Class family is a little crowded. They need to get on with it, as there is still a coupe, a convertible, and a Pullman limo model, as well as their various AMG versions of them, to be launched.
The 2014 Mercedes S65 AMG is powered by a 630 horsepower version of AMG’s biturbo V12 engine with over a 1,000 Nm of torque. Performance-wise, it accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.3 seconds, with a top speed of 155 mph (electronically limited). As for the fuel economy it does 23.7 mpg which is not bad, considering.
The new S65 boasts a number of advanced technologies that make it a real engineering marvel. The car has an aluminium crankcase and a forged crankshaft; multi-spark ignition with 12 twin-spark ignition units; air-to-water intercooler with low-temperature circuit; and ECO start/stop function. Add to that the usual host of Mercedes safety and convenience features, such as MAGIC BODY CONTROL with ROAD SURFACE SCAN, and ESP Dynamic Cornering Assist.
In terms of driving dynamics, with an AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC offering Controlled Efficiency (C), Sport (S) and Manual (M), AMG sport suspension, and electromechanical AMG speed-sensitive sports steering, Mercedes S65 AMG guarantees a satisfyingly engaging drive. After all, it is a large, luxurious saloon car. Just because it has 630 horsepower you shouldn’t mistake it for a super car.
2014 Mercedes S65 AMG gets slightly different bumpers with more chrome work, as well as a set of 20-inch AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels, ceramic, high-gloss polished wheels to be distinguished over normal models. If you peek through those wheels you see AMG’s carbon-ceramic brake discs available as optional extra.
Standard equipment package of the S65 AMG (selection):
- AIR-BALANCE package
- AMG full-pile footmats, with edging in nappa leather and AMG badge in solid metal
- AMG sports pedals of brushed stainless steel with rubber studs
- Ambient lighting
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Burmester® high-end 3D surround sound system
- Chauffeur package
- Exclusive package
- COMAND Online
- Driving Assistance package Plus
- KEYLESS-GO package
- Convenience telephony
- 10 loudspeakers with Frontbass
- LED Intelligent Light System
- MAGIC VISION CONTROL
- Media Interface
- Metallic paintwork
- Panoramic sliding sunroof
- Parking package
- PRE-SAFE® PLUS
- Tyre pressure loss warning system
- Electrically adjustable rear seats
- Seat Comfort package incl. ENERGIZING massage function
- Sun Protection package
- Exclusive trim package
Numerous personalisation options are available from the AMG Performance Studio (selection):
- AMG Exterior Carbon-Fibre package
- AMG ceramic high-performance composite braking system
- AMG performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA, black
- AMG trim in carbon fibre/black piano lacquer
- Brake calipers, painted red
Additional optional extras (selection):
- 360° camera
- Business Telephony in the rear
- designo appointments packages
- Executive seat
- First-Class rear suite
- Individual Entertainment System in the rear
- Folding tables in the rear
- Warmth Comfort package