At the 2011 Birmingham Commercial Vehicle Show Ford and Azure Dynamics will unveil the latest evolution of their vehicle electrification programme with the zero-emission Transit Connect Electric van.
And it’s not just a concept car, like the one they showed in Geneva, either. Shortly after the show it will go on sale in UK to become Ford’s first electric vehicle to be made available in Europe. Five electrified Ford vehicles, including a Focus Electric, C-MAX Hybrid and the C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid, will be introduced in Europe and North America by 2013.
The Transit Connect Electric Van features a proprietary Force Drive battery electric drive train powered by an advanced battery pack from Johnson Controls-Saft. It has 28kWh of power which gives it a top speed of 75mph (120km/h) and a range of up to 130 km/80 miles.
Like all electric cars, the Transit Connect will take an age, 8 hours to be exact, to be fully recharged through standard European 230-volt outlets. With a cargo volume of 3.8 m3 and a payload of 500kg, Transit Connect Electric van will particularly appeal to fleet operators who travel predictable, short-range routes with frequent stop and go driving.
Transit Connect Electric Technical data
- ‘Glider’ assembly at Ford Otosan plant in Kocaeli, Turkey
- Final assembly by Azure Dynamics Corporation
- Siemens AC induction motor, Azure Dynamics inverter
- Borg-Warner transaxle, Johnson Controls-Saft battery pack
- System voltage range 260V – 380V
Electric drive system
- Motor Siemens model 135, 3-phase AC induction motor, 300V nominal, liquid-cooled
- Torque 158 Nm (continuous) / 235 Nm (peak)
- Transmission Borg-Warner 31-03, single-speed
- Gear ratio 8.28:1
- IEC 62196 type 1
- Johnson Controls-Saft lithium-ion pack
- Capacity 28 kWh, 16 modules / (192 cells)
- Voltage range 215V – 390V / charger – 3.3 kW
Weights and capacities
- Maximum payload 500 kg (net)
- Curb weight 1765 kg (est.)
- Cargo volume 3.8 m3
- Driving range up to 130 km (80 miles) per full charge
- Charge duration approximately 8 hours for full cycle using 230 V
- Top speed 120 km/h (75 mph)@ 0 percent grade
- Acceleration 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) in 12 seconds (based on kerb weight)
- 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) in 15 seconds (based on gross vehicle weight rating)