Mercedes took the wraps off the new ML63 AMG ahead of its world premiere at L.A. Autoshow.
First things first, the new Mercedes ML63 has got 518 hp and torque of 516 lb-ft. That comes from the new 5.5 liter biturbo V8 that replaces the old 6.3 liter unit, and features spray-guided gasoline direct injection with piezo injectors, ECO stop/start system, an all-aluminum crankcase, four valves per cylinder with camshaft adjustment, air-to-water charge air cooling and efficient alternator management.
All that means the classic zero to 60 mph sprint takes 4.7 seconds, and the top speed is 155 mph. Better still if you fit the car with the optional AMG Performance Package that boosts the V8 engine’s power output to 550 hp and its maximum torque to 560 lb-ft. It shaves only a 0.1 of a second off the acceleration time, but lets you do 174 mph which is great.
You also get Merc’s AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7-speed automatic transmission which besides the Sport (S) and Manual (M) driving program, also offers an ECO mode. But don’t expect such a fast SUV to be economical. You should be happy if you could get more than 16 mpg out of it.
As for the looks, the standard ML is a good-looking SUV, but the AMG version, especially at the back, looks a bit weird. The front of the car is OK, what with the AMG-style bumper and bold grille, but those ducts in the rear bumper and those exhausts, they look terrible.
The car comes with 20inch 5-spoke alloy wheels painted in titanium grey with a high-gloss finish and fitted with 265/45 R 20 high-performance tires. You can also opt for 21-inch rims.
Like every other AMG Merc, the interior is a fantastic place to be in and features standard designo premium leather AMG power sports seats offering excellent lateral support, as well as the four-spoke AMG Performance steering wheel. The AMG Performance Package also includes an engine cover in high-quality genuine carbon fiber, calipers painted in red and the AMG Performance steering wheel in Premium leather/DINAMICA.
Standard equipment includes:
- AMG illuminated door sills in stainless steel
- AMG sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs
- COMAND system with hard-drive navigation & SIRIUS real-time traffic & weather
- 10-way power front seats w/door-mounted controls plus driver and passenger memory with 4-way lumbar support
- harman/kardon Logic 7 surround sound system
- HD radio
- Bluetooth audio streaming
- USB port
- 7″ display with central COMAND controller
- 4.5″ color instrument cluster display
- Power lift gate
- Multi-color ambient lighting
- Power sunroof w/express open and close
- Heated & active ventilated front seats