Following the SL63, which truth be told didn’t receive a particularly warm welcome from the press, Mercedes now took the wraps off the new SL65 AMG. And the good news is not only the V12 lives on, it’s not more powerful than ever. The new 6.0-litre V12 “biturbo” engine develops a maximum output of 630 hp and maximum torque of 1000 newton metres. Fantastic.
AMG admits that only a small group of loyal fans will buy such an extravagant V12-powered uber-luxe roadster. They are going to get such a treat though, as acceleration from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) takes 4 seconds with the 125 mph mark attained after just 11.8 seconds. Top speed is as usual limited to 155 mph (250 km/h).
In spite of the added power – up from 612 hp – the new V12 is 17 percent more fuel efficient than the old engine. It comes with AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7G-TRONIC transmission, the ECO start/stop?function, in-engine measures to optimise efficiency and alternator management, so Mercedes says it can do 24.4 mpg.
The posh and plush SL65 has pretty much the same sort of chassis and sport suspension as the SL63, but it’s more like a luxury yacht for the road. That’s why it gets more chrome parts than the 63. It features high-sheen chrome highlights: along with the “twin blade” radiator grille and the lower cross strut, the surrounds of the special AMG daytime running lamps as well as the fins on the bonnet and the side of the wings have the same finish.
Still not keen on the exterior, but 630hp is more than make up for tasteless styling. Obviously, a car like this is loaded with features and equipments. You don’t even need half of these stuff, but since it’s going to cost more than 200,000 euro, that’s the least you can expect.
- Active Parking Assist incl. PARKTRONIC
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG high-end surround sound system
- COMAND Online with 6-disc DVD changer
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Remote-unlocking boot lid incl. power closing for boot lid
- Intelligent Light System ILS
- KEYLESS-GO Convenience package (incl. remote-closing boot lid and HANDS-FREE ACCESS system)
- Convenience telephony
- MAGIC VISION CONTROL
- NECK-PRO head restraints
- Panoramic vario-roof
- Door power closing
- Automatic, pop-up roll-over bars for driver and front passenger
- Even more individuality is possible with optional extras from the AMG Performance Studio:
- AMG forged light-alloy wheels
- AMG forged light-alloy wheels, painted matt black, rim flange with a high-sheen finish
- AMG ceramic high-performance compound brake system
- AMG Exterior Carbon package (cross strut in front apron, exterior mirror housings and spoiler lip in genuine carbon fibre)
- AMG Performance Media with telemetry function
- AMG Performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre
- Brake callipers, painted red