Peugeot is really kicking its motorsport efforts into high gear this year. After announcing the launch of the new 208 T16 rally car for the FIA R5 Class, and releasing the 208 T16 Pikes Peak for the famous hill climb event, they are entering the Nurburgring 24hour race with three 208 GTi race cars.
The ‘Ring-bound GTi is based on the road-going model, but it’s tuned up to 300 horsepower, 100 more than the standard, making it suitable for competing in the SP2T class. The car is also stripped from its luxury garnish, and as a result it now weighs only 990 kg. So it must be an absolute to drive.
A six-speed paddle-shift gearbox, reinforced braking system, 18” wheels, a 100-litre petrol tank and racing aerodynamics are among the other highlights of the endurance 208 GTi.
A while back Peugeot launched the 208 GTi Racing Experience in Europe to select the drivers for their Nuburgring offensive. Here’s the final list:
– Bradley PHILPOT – 27 years – United Kingdom
– Mathieu SENTIS – 27 years – France
– Stephane Epp – 25 years – Germany
– Gonzalo MARTIN DE ANDRES – 31 years – Spain
– Giacomo RICCI – 27 years – Italy
– Vincent RADERMECKER – 45 years – Belgium
– Christiaan FRANKENHOUT – 31 years – Netherlands
– Johnny NIEDERHAUSER – 41 years – Switzerland