Yesterday we saw the first official pictures of the all-new BMW 2 Series Coupe in form of the M235i, and now we have all the official details here for you. The new sub-compact coupe will replace the 1 Series Coupe in BMW’s range, and will soon be followed by a convertible variant.
Following the 4 Series that replaced the 3 Series Coupe and convertible models, the 2 Series family will cover the sporty versions of the 1 Series range. This change of name makes more sense with the 2 Series, as it is also a tribute to the legendary BMW 2002 from 45 years ago.
The car has the same proportions as the 2002 with a compact, three-box coupe design, and short wheelbase that just scream driving pleasure. It is also a lot prettier than its 1 series hatchback counterpart. What’s more, the car comes with a range of properly sporty engines.
BMW 2 Series Coupe can be had with a 240 hp version of the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine in the 228i version, or the M Performance 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder with TwinPower technology delivering 322 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque in the M235i. The latter also benefits from standard M Adaptive suspension, M Sport Braking system, variable sport steering and Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires, as well as M sport exhaust.
This being a product of 2014, economy has not been forgotten. The 2 Series features a range of EfficientDynamics technologies, including Air Curtains and the Auto Start/Stop function in conjunction with both manual and automatic transmissions; ECO PRO mode is activated via the standard Driving Experience Control switch and includes a coasting function in conjunction with the 8-speed automatic transmission.
Prices for the BMW 2 Series Coupe start from $33,025 for the 228i and $44,025 for the M235i, including $925 destination and handling.
- BMW M235i Coupe: Six-cylinder in-line gasoline engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology (twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision Direct Injection, Valvetronic variable valve timing, Double-Vanos).
– Capacity: 2,979 cc
– Output: 322 hp at 5,800 – 6,000 rpm, max. torque 332 lb-ft at 1,300 – 4,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 60 mph]: 4.8 seconds with 8-speed sport automatic transmission
– Top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph.
– Preliminary EPA Mileage Estimates (mpg) – 22 city/32 highway/25 combined for the 8-speed sport automatic. 19 city/28 highway/22 combined for the
- BMW 228i Coupe: Four-cylinder engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision Direct Injection, Valvetronic variable valve timing, Double-Vanos.
– Capacity: 1,997 cc
– Output: 240 hp at 5,000 – 6,500 rpm, max. torque: 258 lb-ft at 1,250 – 4,500 rpm.
– Acceleration [0 – 60 mph]: 5.4 seconds with 8-speed sport automatic.
– Top speed: 130 mph / 210 km/h (250 km/h / 155 mph with Sport Line or M Sport)
– Preliminary EPA Mileage Estimates (mpg) – 23 city/35 highway/27 combined for the 8-speed sport automatic. 22 city/34 highway/26 combined for the