Subaru revealed the new 2011 edition of the Impreza WRX STI in both sedan and hatchback forms. The car features may new things, but designwise it’s pretty much the same as last year, only tweaked to look more attractive. It has a wide body style with blacked-out headlamps, new grille, taillights and a big rear wing.
Impreza’s sophisticated suspension has always been one of its greatest features, and according to Subaru it has just got better:
Major chassis tuning changes include a lowered ride height and new pillow-ball bushings in front and stiffer bushings for the rear subframe that supports the double-wishbone suspension – these improve camber and toe stiffness. Both the front and rear suspension systems employ higher-rate springs and thicker front and rear stabilizer bars than the 2010 model: 21 mm vs. 20 mm in front and 19 mm vs. 18 mm in rear. Spring rates have increased by 15.6 percent in front and 53 percent in the rear.
It also has new lightweight 18-inch aluminum wheels which weigh 17.6 lbs. less than the previous ones and are wrapped in 245/40 tires. The car’s Brembo Performance Brake System uses ventilated 4-wheel Super Sport anti-lock (ABS) disc brakes with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD). Super Sport ABS can control the braking forces at each rear wheel independently, which optimizes braking ability during hard cornering to help reduce understeer.
2011 Impreza WRX is powered by a turbocharged/intercooled four-cylinder boxer engine with 305 hp and 290Ib-ft of torque. And because you still get the 6-speed manual gearbox, the AWD system with Multi-Mode Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD), you can be quite certain that it will as joyful to drive as ever!
Main Improvements for the 2011 Subaru Impreza STI
• The new 4-door model, along with the 5-door, includes a “wide and low” design concept that is a perfect match for this advanced performance model and gives the impression of dynamic and powerful road presence.
• The corners of the bumpers have been enlarged and the areas around the fog lamps have been blacked out in order to provide a front face shape that expresses a sense of reassuring stability. The newly designed front grill features virile black tones which, together with enlarged grill and bumper openings, serve to project functionality matching the vehicle’s high performance. The adoption of a forward-surging shape for the lip spoiler at the bottom of the bumper further enhances the sportiness. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
• Like the 5-door model, a blister fender running from the front to the rear, providing a side view with a sense of dynamic movement, has been adopted for the new 4-door model. The rear fender has a strong design that emphasises the wider track of the rear tires and the performance sedan characteristics.
• For the rear view of the 4-door model, the rear fender surface is stretched beyond the outer side of the combination lamps, emphasizing the thickness of the rear end, thereby providing a design that expresses stability. Additionally, the diffuser shape incorporated at the bottom of the rear bumper completely envelops the muffler for a refined, sporty look.
• A striking larger rear spoiler was exclusively designed for the STI 4-door model. The spoiler has a three-dimensional shape in consideration of the aerodynamics of the wing and further serves to symbolise the advanced performance of the 2011 Subaru Impreza STI.
• The twin-dual muffler cutters feature a new design unique to the 4-door model. Stainless steel is used to express both sportiness and high product quality.
• Lightweight 18-inch aluminum wheels have been newly adopted as standard equipment, and these have been given a high luster finish to heighten the sense of luxury. Additionally, the optional BBS 18-inch wheels are provided with a high luster finish. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
• The new color of “Plasma Blue Silica” has been added. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
2. Interior (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
• The colors of the instrument panel, door trim and steering decorative parts have been changed to a dark metallic hue. The contrast of this hue with the silver decorative parts produces a sporty cockpit.
• A Bluetooth®* function has been added to the standard audio. Additionally, a switch for Bluetooth hands-free communication has been added to the steering wheel to improve convenience.
* Bluetooth® is a registered trademark of Bluetooth® Sig, Inc. USA.
• A USB jack has been installed inside the console box in order to provide for use of USB input devices.
3. Mechanisms (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
• The overall suspension setup has been completely revised and the vehicle height lowered by 5 mm in order to provide high-precision handling that allows a driver to accurately power through lines exactly as required.
• A new aluminum lower arm has been designed for the front suspension, while the rear arm bushes have been changed to a pillow-ball type. These work to improve toe and tread rigidity in order to provide handling performance that is even more faithful to the driver’s steering control.
• The specifications of the sub-frame bushings of the rear suspension have been changed to improve the toe and camber rigidity, resulting in increased vehicle responsiveness and road hugging capability.
• Specialised tuning of the damping force of both front and rear dampers provides secure road-holding ability. Changes to specifications of the front and rear coil springs, and stabilizers have greatly improved roll rigidity.
<2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Major Specifications> (US. Specification models)
Overall Length × Width × Height (mm): 4,580 (4-door), 4,415 (5-door) × 1,795 × 1,470
Wheelbase (mm): 2,625
Track Front/Rear (mm): 1,530/1,540
Engine Type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC turbocharged engine
Displacement: 2,457 cc
Max. Output: 305 hp@6,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 290Ib-ft@4,000 rpm
Tires: 245/40 R18 Seating Capacity: 5