FIA officially confirmed October 30 as the new date for Bahrain Grand Prix, which had been postponed due to the civil unrest in the country.
Bahrain officials apparently think that the situation is now stable enough for them to host the Grand Prix. There’s still a long way ahead till October though, so don’t reserve your ticket just yet!
In a statement explaining their decision, the FIA said: “Meetings were conducted with the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, the Bahrain Motor Federation and Bahrain International Circuit, as well as other national and international organizations including Mr. Tariq Al Saffar at the National Institute of Human Rights. It should be noted that the recent announcement by the King of Bahrain has established a political dialogue and reconciliation process.”
Bahrain International Circuit head Zayed R Alzayani welcomed the return of Formula One to the Kingdom.
“As a country we have faced a difficult time, but stability has returned; with businesses operating close to normal, the State of National Safety lifted and countries removing travel restrictions,” he said. “Collectively, we are in the process of addressing issues of national and international concern, and learning lessons from the recent past. By the time the Grand Prix arrives we will be able to remind the world about Bahrain at its best.”