Following the Continental GT V8, Bentley also presented the latest version of the W12-powered GTC at the auto China motorshow in Beijing. While the GT V8 is all about how efficient a Continental can be, the GTC W12 doesn’t give a damn about CO2 or fuel consumption. All it wants to be is the ultimate drop-top luxury cruiser. And it probably is.
The new GTC features the same facelift that gave the coupe versions a fresh new look, and it gets a fabulously luxurious cabin. It offers more options than before, with soft-touch leather hides, an extensive range of wood veneers, cool-touch metals and deep-pile carpets. There are 17 standard soft-touch leather hide colours with six colour split combinations, complemented by a range of seven veneers.
The cherry for the top of GTC’s cake is, as always, the 6.0-litre, twin-turbocharged W12 engine now mated to a new QuickShift transmission. In the new model the output is raised from 560 PS to 575 PS (567 bhp / 423 kW) and the famed Bentley ‘wave of torque’ has been increased by a further 50 Nm to 700 Nm (516 lb ft).
Also new in this car is an advanced in-car infotainment systems on sale today. Backed by a 30GB on-board hard drive, the eight-inch screen displays the car’s audio, telephone, ride and comfort functionality.
THE CONTINENTAL GTC – AT A GLANCE
Sculpted exterior design
- Advanced production techniques such as aluminium Super Forming (front wings) allow for a more sculpted body and sharp ‘power lines’.
- Unique jewelled headlamps with LED day-time running lights.
- More upright matrix radiator grille and new ‘double horse-shoe’ rear profile first shown on the flagship Bentley Mulsanne.
Luxurious, practical hand-crafted cabin with class-leading infotainment
- New interior with a bold, sweeping dashboard and instrument panel finished in premium soft-touch leather.
- Choice of 17 hide colours, six colour split combinations and seven veneers.
- Distinctive ‘cobra style’ seats for added comfort and enhanced rear cabin space.
- A new touchscreen, 30GB infotainment system introduces advanced satellite navigation with dynamic route guidance, seven-digit postcode entry and Google Map compatibility (market specific).
- Audio systems feature the latest wide-frequency Balance Mode Radiator speakers as standard.
- Revolutionary Dirac Dimensions™ DSP for exceptional sound reproduction (Naim for Bentley premium audio).
More powerful 6-litre W12 engine with FlexFuel capability
- 6-litre W12 twin-turbocharged engine produces 575 PS.
(567 bhp / 423 kW) and 700 Nm (516 lb ft) of torque.
- FlexFuel capability – runs on E85 biofuel, petrol or any combination of the two.
- 0-60 mph 4.5 secs (0-100 km/h 4.8 secs).
- 0-100 mph 10.9 secs (0-160 km/h 10.9 secs).
- Top speed 195 mph (314 km/h).
Dynamic Bentley driving experience
- ZF 6HP28 transmission with ‘Quickshift’ system that cuts shift times by up to 50% and enables double downshifts.
- New 40:60 rear-biased torque split for the all-wheel drive system reduces understeer when powering out of bends and provides for better modulation of line and attitude by ‘throttle steering.’
- Increased front and rear track improves grip and stability.
- Advanced ESC system fully exploits the potential of the more powerful W12 engine and improved chassis.
- 20” ‘Five Spoke’ alloy wheels with optional 21” wheels in ‘Five Spoke Two-Piece’, ‘Seven Spoke Elegant’ and ‘Ten Spoke Propeller’ designs.