Before Jay Leno’s McLaren P1 arrives at his garage from Woking, Porsche sends the 918 Spyder down there to kind of steal its thunder. Jay has already driven the 918 during one of its outings in America at Pebble Beach, but this is the first time he gets it at the garage for a thorough look and a test drive. He gets into the details of the car, revealing interesting technical tidbits, and compares it with two other iconic Porsches, the air-cooled 1963 Carrera GT and the 2005 Carrera GT, the 918’s predecessor.
So enjoy this rather long video of the Porsche 918 at Jay Leno’s Garage, and make sure you stick with it as they take it out for a fun test drive towards the end:
Porsche 918 Technical Specifications:
- Body: Two-seater Spyder; carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP) monocoque interlocked with CFRP unit carrier; two-piece Targa roof; fixed roll-over protection system.
- Drivetrain: Parallel full hybrid; 4.6-litre V8 mid-engine with drysump lubrication; hybrid module with electric motor and decoupler; electric motor with decoupler and gear unit on front axle; electrical system recuperation; four cooling circuits for motors, transmission and battery; thermal management.
- Engine Power
- V8 engine: >570 hp
- Hybrid module on rear axle: ~90 kW
- Electric motor on front axle: ~80 kW
- Combined: >770 hp
- Suspension: Double-wishbone front axle; optional electro-pneumatic lift system on front axle; electro-mechanical power steering; multi-link rear axle with adaptive electromechanical system for individual rear wheel steering
- Brake system: High-performance hybrid brake system with adaptive recuperation; ceramic brake discs (PCCB).
- Energy supply: Lithium-ion battery with 6.8 kWh capacity (BOL nominal), 202 kW maximum power and mainscompatible plug-in charger.
- Top speed: >325 km/h
- Purely electric top speed: >150 km/h
- 0-100 km/h: under 3.0 s
- Fuel Consumption (NEDC): ~3.0 l/100 km
- CO2 emissions: ~70 g/km
- Purely electric range: >25 km