So the qualifying for 2014 Le Mans 24 hours LMP1 class is finished and for the first time in, well, decades, there isn’t an Audi on the front row. First, second and third places are occupied by Toyota, Porsche, and Toyota. To celebrate, Porsche released some awesome photos from the qualifying session showing the 919 Hybrid and the 911 RSR in action.
The Porsche Team’s two Porsche 919 Hybrids will start second and fourth in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In second place we have the 919 Hybrid #14 driven by Dumas, Jani, and Lieb, and in fourth place, 919 Hybrid #20 with Bernhard, Webber, and Hartley at the wheel.
Wolfgang Hatz, Board member for Research and Development: “The front row in Le Mans has been kind of a secret target, and we have been able to tick it off the list at our first attempt. It is not pole position, but it is totally fine. We knew we would have been fast enough, but in the end we weren’t lucky enough to get a clear lap. Now we will focus on the race and try to avoid mistakes. I am proud of our team and wish everyone all the best.”
Le Mans 2014 Qualifying LMP1:
1. Wurz/Sarrazin/Nakajima (A/F/J), Toyota TS 040 Hybrid, 3:21,789 min.
2. Dumas/Jani/Lieb (F/CH/D), Porsche 919 Hybrid, + 0,357 s
3. Davidson/Lapierre/Buemi (GB/F/CH), Toyota TS 040 Hybrid, + 0,734 s
4. Bernhard/Webber/Hartley (D/AUS/NZ), Porsche 919 Hybrid, + 1,119 s
5. Albuquerque/Bonanomi/Jarvis (POR/I/GB), Audi R18 e-tron quattro, + 1,482 s
6. Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer (CH/D/F), Audi R18 e-tron quattro, + 2,487 s
7. Di Grassi/Gené/Kristensen (BRA/ESP/DK), Audi R18 e-tron quattro, + 4,025 s