The new 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe gets makes its official public debut at Detroit Motor Show, featuring more power, new features, and a heavily revised face.
The facelifted Genesis Coupe comes with new headlights inspired by its baby brother, the Veloster. It also gets the same wide mouth we are now seeing on all the latest Hyundai models, and the new signature grille. The rest of the car remains pretty much the same as before, only the tail lights now have a cooler graphic.
Changes are far more deep under the skin, where the fantastic 3.8 liter V6 engine has been tuned to gain 42 horsepower (a generous 14 percent increase) and 29 lb.-ft of torque (an eleven percent increase). That adds up to a total output of 348 hp and 295 lb.-ft. at 5,300 RPM on premium fuel. Hyundai says it’ll do 0 to 60mph in about five seconds.
Although the whole point of buying the Genesis Coupe is to get that V6 engine, Hyundai also offers a turbocharged, intercooled 2.0-liter DOHC inline four-cylinder, now with 274 horsepower (a massive 30 percent increase) and 275 lb.-ft. of torque (an impressive 23 percent increase). It will much more fuel efficient than the V6, and also considerably slower.
Both engines can be had with an 8-speed transmission. The car also gets sport tuned suspension with MacPherson strut dual-link front suspension and a five-link rear suspension setup.The front suspension is mounted to the body via a solid subframe that is lighter and stronger than a comparable multi-piece component would be. To help reduce body roll and tune the Genesis Coupe’s at-the-limit handling for maximum predictability, 23-mm diameter front and 19-mm diameter rear stabilizer bars are fitted.
It also gets the same Brembo braking system as before.
The 2013 Genesis Coupe interior has been enhanced with distinctive, upscale features and design cues. The instrument panel crash pad features a stitched-seam appearance for a distinctly upscale look, and the parking brake lever is leather-wrapped on leather-equipped models. The instrument cluster now features an electroluminescent gauge cluster for premium ambience and superior readability. A new driver-side rear seat walk-in assist function has been added for more convenient rear seat access from the driver’s side. Convenient seatbelt assist guides make it easier for front passengers to buckle up.
HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2013 GENESIS COUPE
- Refreshed, more aggressive exterior design
- New front fascia, grille, headlight, fog light, hood designs
- New 18- and 19-inch wheel
- New LED-enhanced taillight design
- Available LED daytime running lights (DRLs)
- 3.8-liter V6 engine receives direct-injection technology
- 348 horsepower, 295 lb.-ft. torque (rating with premium fuel)
- Improved fuel economy for both transmissions
- 18 city/28 highway – 8-speed A/T
- 18 city/27 highway – 6-speed M/T
- 2.0-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged engine receives new twin-scroll turbocharger and larger, more thermally-efficient intercooler
- 274 horsepower, 275 lb.-ft. torque (rating with premium fuel)
- Improved fuel economy for A/T
- 20 city/31 highway – 8-speed A/T
- 21 city/30 highway – 6-speed M/T
- New, in-house-developed 8-speed automatic transmissions
- Paddle-shift SHIFTRONIC® capability
- New, retuned low-velocity-control suspension dampers
- Blue Link® telematics available on 3.8 Grand Touring/Track and 2.0T Premium
- Electroluminescent gauge cluster with information display
- Telescopic steering wheel (added to tilt function)
- Driver seat power lumbar adjustment
- Redesigned center stack appearance and gauges