Chevrolet officially confirmed return of the 1LE package with the 2013 Camaro. The 1Le offers something in between the high-performance ZL1 and the more day to day SS. It will have 426-hp, benefits from the ZL1 chassis and suspension, and will have a price tag of under $40,000. It also features a unique design, distinguishing it from both aforementioned models. The 1LE is the track-ready version of the Camaro.
Camaro 1LE is based only on the 1SS and 2SS coupe models, featuring a 6.2L LS3 V-8, which is rated at 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb-ft of torque (569 Nm), and only comes with six-speed manual gearbox. It is, after all, for the racing enthusiasts.
On the outside, the 1LE package features matte-black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels finished in black. The new aero parts no only look cool, they have a aerodynamic function as well. Inside the cabin, the 1LE comes with the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded-microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack, and ZL1’s gear lever.
All 2013 Camaro SS models will get the electric power steering system developed for the ZL1, and optional dual-mode exhaust system. What’s more Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment is available on all 2013 Camaro LT, SS and ZL1 models. The color touch radio, with a 7-inch touch screen, also can be paired with an available in-dash GPS navigation system – a first for the Camaro.
Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:
- Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
- Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction
- Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
- ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels
- 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
- ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
- ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-cornering