For the 2013 model year Ford is adding a new version of the Explorer to the range called Sport. As the name suggests, the Explorer Sport comes with sporty exterior design cues and specially tuned suspension components, as well as an interior inspired by designer accessory fashions, says Ford. The engine is a 350-hp V6 EcoBoost, supported by four-wheel drive with a Terrain Management System.
All that means the car is versatile and capable, without causing a polar bear die with every mile it covers. It is actually quite economical and clean for its size. It has projected fuel economy of up to 16 mpg in city driving and 22 mpg on the highway, which is better than almost all rival.
The Sport can be had in four colors of Ruby Red Metallic Clearcoat, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat, Tuxedo Black Metallic and Ingot Silver Metallic, each garnished with 20-inch painted and machined wheels, blacked-out headlamp and taillamp treatments, black roof rack rails, sideview mirror skull caps and a liftgate applique.It is further distinguished with black front lower fascia and Sterling Gray mesh.
Inside you get two-tone leather upholstery, accessories and apparel from design houses Balenciaga and Prada, steering wheel stitching, a technical look to instrument and door panel applique plus many Sport logos.
As the top of the Explorer line, Sport offers a robust array of standard and optional customer-focused technologies that make driving more comfortable, convenient and connected. These include:
* 4WD with Terrain Management System
* Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
* 10-way power driver’s seat with power recline and lumbar
* Six-way power passenger seat with recline and lumbar
* First-row heated seats
* Compass and exterior temperature display
* Rear view camera
* SYNC® with MyFord Touch® driver connect technology
* Sony® Premium Audio System with HD Radio™ and 12 speakers
Explorer Sport can be tailored to individual preferences with the following options as well:
* Active park assist
* Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) with cross-traffic alert
* Inflatable rear seat belts
* 110-volt outlet
* PowerFold mirrors
* Intelligent access with Push-Button Start
* Remote Start
* Adjustable pedals with memory
* Dual-panel moonroof
* Power liftgate
* Class III trailer-towing package