The British sports car maker Radical announced launch of a new entry-level SR1 model for club racer and trackday driver on a budget. The SR1 costs just under £30K, and offers an LMP style race car with superb performance thanks to a 210bhp RPE-Suzuki four-cylinder engine. The lightweight Radical can outperform almost all the super cars and GTs on the race track with its unique handling characteristics and cornering capabilities.
Besides the magical chassis and the reliable powertrain, the SR1 also benefits from 240mm, 30-vane ventilated discs with four-pot calipers, a comprehensive safety cell and deformable crash structure tested to FIA standards, racing-specification harnesses and an integral fire extinguisher system. Superior grip is guaranteed with not only enhanced aerodynamics, but also the Radical-specific Dunlop slick, wet and road tyre options.
The running gear includes a six-speed sequential gearbox as standard, with a Quaife ATB differential. The 480 kg SR1 does 0 to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and has a top speed of 138 mph. It is capable of generating maximum cornering G’s of 2.3, which is very remarkable.
The car’s official pricing is £29,850+VAT. It is impossible to go faster, and have more fun on a race track, for less.
- Two-seater powder-coated carbon steel spaceframe chassis with integral safety cell – complying with MSA safety requirements.
- Aluminium front crash structures.
- 44 litre foam-filled aluminium fuel tank mounted behind the driver within the safety cell.
- Fully adjustable pedal box.
- Driver seat-belt complying wth FiA requirements.
- Four Butterfly, 41mm fuel injection system with composite ram air box
- Lightweight steel flywheel with multi-plate clutch
- Stainless steel manifold and silencer
- Six-speed sequential transverse gearbox
- Chain drive system, torque-biasing limited-slip differential for seamless diff lock-up
- Fully adjustable Nik suspension system front and rear – unequal length top and bottom wishbones, fabricated uprights, forged steel centre lock hubs and interchangeable anti-roll links
- Single-adjustable, coil-over dampers
- Radical four-pot calipers front and rear
- 240mm dia. × 25mm, 30-vane ventilated discs front and rear
- Radical cast aluminium wheels – 7″ × 13″ dia. front and 9″ × 13″ dia. rears.
- Dunlop bespoke slick tyres.
- Four-piece lightweight fibre-glass bodywork with self-coloured gel coat finish
- Owners name on side of cockpit
- Composite front diffuser with removable, high-nose, low-drag front section
- Wheel arch and side pod louvres
- Rear view mirrors
- Composite side pods with radiator inlet and internal ducting
- Composite side-skirts
- Removeable composite tail section with intergral induction intake and ventilation grilles
- Rear wing with end plates
- Rear brake and fog lights
- Moulded composite, high-sided, drivers and passenger seats with adjustable mounts
- Carbon-composite dashboard surround
- Radical display unit incorparating an LED analogue rev counter, gear indicator, shift light, four LCD displays of engine parameters/speed and warning lights
- Dash-mounted brake bias adjuster.
- Powertec Suzuki 1340cc 4-cylinder double overhead cam engine with a dry-sump oil system
- Engine performance 210bhp – 130ft/Ibs – 10,500rpm