True to their word, Chevy is building the new COPO Camaro – although in limited numbers – and the first units have been delivered to the customers. COPO is the fastest Camaro ever built. The turn key dragster can be had with three engines including naturally a aspirated 427 V8, a 327 (5.3L) V8 featuring a 2.9L supercharger, and a 327 (5.3L) V8 featuring a 4.0L supercharger.
Check out a video of one of the COPOs being delivered and see if you can name the engine from its noise!
Highlights of the new COPO Camaro program include:
- A sequenced build number matched to the engine but sold without a Vehicle Identification Number and cannot be registered for highway use
- Three racing-class engine are available, including a naturally aspirated 427 (7.0L) and two supercharged 327 (5.3L) V-8 engines
- Engine assembly at GM’s Performance Build Center, where the buyer can opt to participate in the engine assembly similar to Chevrolet’s Corvette Engine Build Experience and the Chevrolet Performance Build Your Own Crate Engine programs
- Engines pairing with a Powerglide automatic transmission designed for drag racing
- Five colors: Flat Black, Summit White, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic and Ashen Gray Metallic
- A COPO graphics package similar to the one introduced on the concept vehicle available in Metallic White, Semi-Gloss Black, Inferno Orange Metallic and Chevy Racing Blue
- Pricing starting at $89,000
- A special collector’s package offering the purchase of all three engines with the COPO Camaro – including one installed in the car at delivery – with each engine serial number matched to the car