Initial performance figures for the new Ford Explorer Sport suggested the EcoBoost engine in this car is good for 350 horsepower. But as it turns out Ford was underestimating itself again! The Sport is now officially rated at 365 horsepower. We also have the official EPA rating for the car, and it’s 16 city and 22 highway mpg.
Those are not particularly brilliant numbers, but for a big, sporty SUV with that powerful engine it’s actually not bad at all. Ford is quick to point out that this rating is 3 mpg better in the city and 2 mpg better on the highway than Explorer’s main American rivals, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango R/T with 5.7-liter Hemi engines.
To make the EcoBoost engine as efficient as possible, Ford has equipped the Explorer Sport with a paddle-shifted six-speed SelectShift Automatictransmission with a unique 3.16 to 1 final drive ratio. That means it provides enough torque for a satisfying acceleration, while lowering the rpm in freeway driving for better fuel economy. The car also benefits from a re-calibrated Terrain Management System to work in tandem with the EcoBoost engine for maximum fuel efficiency.
Ford Explorer Sport also features unique styling features such as sports grille and bigger wheels, and a long list of standard and available features.
- Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control (DEATC)
- 10-way power driver’s seat with power recline and lumbar
- Six-way power passenger seat with recline and lumbar
- First-row heated seats
- Compass and exterior temperature display
- Rearview camera system
- SYNC® with MyFord Touch® driver connect technology
- Sony® Premium Audio System with HD Radio™ and 12 speakers
- BLIS® (blind spot information system) with cross-traffic alert
- Cooled seats
- Inflatable rear seat belts
- 110-volt outlet
- PowerFold mirrors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Intelligent access with Push-Button Start
- Remote Start
- Power tilt and telescoping steering column
- Adjustable pedals with memory
- Dual-panel moonroof
- Power liftgate
- Class III trailer-towing package