Scottsdale, Arizona, home of Barret-Jackson, is usually where all the big numbers in classic cars sale are produced. This time though, it’s Chicago’s Mecum Auctions that is making some noise by shifting a couple of highly exotic American cars at incredible prices.
In total, the three-day event saw 965 cars crossing the block, 615 hammered sold for a 64 percent sell-through rate and $18,634,223 in sales. The meat of the auction was a 1963 Corvette Stingray on which the hammer dropped at a staggering $1.5 million. It is not any old Stingray though. The car was 1963 General Motors styling car, gifted ot the legendary designer Harley J. Earl.
The next hottest item was a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, number 23 out of 69, restored to original factory setting. This unique muscle car fetched a cool half a million. After that there was a stock Ford GT model 2005 in mint condition, with only 2,047 miles on the clock, sold for $240,000.
The complete top 10 sales list from the Chicago auction:
1. 1963 Harley J. Earl Corvette (Lot S110) at $1,500,000
2. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (Lot S135.1) at $500,000
3. 2005 Ford GT (Lot S219) at $240,000
4. 1965 Shelby Cobra, CSX4337 (Lot S205.1) at $140,000
5. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S233) at $135,000
6. 1968 Dodge Hemi Dart Lightweight (Lot S116.1) at $125,000
7. 1969 Pontiac Trans Am (Lot S151) at $118,000
8. 1962 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S157) at $110,000
9. 2013 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S174) at $105,000
10. 1951 Willys Overland Custom Pickup (Lot S116) at $100,000