So a car that has Sport in its name comes with a Sport mode? Who knew! We are talking about the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport and how the activation of its sport mode alters the character of the car, at least according to its makers. They say that little button turns the Fusion from a docile family car into “an all-out sports sedan.”
We are not sure all that, even though that sport button apparently changes seven parameters about the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, each designed to make the car sharper and sportier, and the feeling of the driving closer to that of a sports car. Things rarely work out so neatly in the real word. But we do think that the Fusion V6 Sport is a damn good car in its class – as sporty Ford have always been – what with a 2.7 liter EcoBoost V6 engine that makes 325 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque.
So let’s give the mic to Ford and let them argue how different a simple Sport mode can really make the driving experience of the Fusion V6:
- Handling: Increases stiffness of the continuously controlled dampers compared to the normal tuning and adds damping under spirited cornering to enhance vehicle responsiveness and minimize body motion.
- Powertrain sound: In-cabin noise cancellation is tuned to provide an entertaining in-cabin engine note
- Steering: Unique tuning for electric power-assisted steering provides clean, intuitive feel to match enhanced vehicle response
- Transmission: Aggressive transmission programming selects lower gears resulting in higher available torque and responsiveness. Gears are held through turns to maximize cornering performance. Downshifts with braking are rev-matched for smoothness and increased engine braking; when stepping off the accelerator, the gear is held to maximize engine braking performance
- Engine: Electronic throttle programming revised for responsive feel
- Paddle shifters: Shifters behind steering wheel become fully enabled – allowing for complete control of transmission for spirited driving
- Cluster: Sport mode icon appears in the cluster