Even among the souped-up Mustangs made by high-end tuner, the factory-prepped Shelby GT350R stands a head and shoulder above the rest as something truly special. In fact, Ford pitches this car as a racing machine with license plates. So who better to judge its merits than a race car driver.
So this time the boys at Motor Trend have given the bulk of the job of reviewing the car to their tamed racing driver Randy Pobst. Shelby GT350R is right up his alley, what with its track tuned engine, suspension, brakes and tires.
Shelby GT350R Highlights:
- Lightweight carbon fiber wheels
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 high-performance tires
- Weight reduction of more than 130 lbs compared to Shelby GT350
- Hood vent for heat extraction and lift reduction
- Underbody belly pans front and rear
- Vented wheel wells and turbulence-reducing fender vents
- Carbon fiber rear wing
- Flat-plane crankshaft 5.2-liter dual-overhead-cam V8 engine
- 500 horsepower and more than 400 lb.-ft. of torque
- Six-speed manual transmission
- Ford-tuned limited-slip Torsen differential