Ford officially unveiled the new generation of C-Max minivan ahead of its debut at the 2011 Detroit Motor Show. And that means the new C-Max will go on sale in America next year introducing new standards in this segment. This seven-seat minivan is based on the 2012 Ford Focus sedan and features a new hands-free power-operated rear liftgate, which is a first.
The new C-MAX is part of Ford Motor Company’s global small vehicle strategy that will deliver at least 10 vehicles – and 2 million vehicles annually – from a single C-vehicle platform by 2012.
2012 C-Max has all the minivan features you would expect like three rows of seat, and the 5+2 seating configuration, but for what it’s worth it also looks quite good, being the latest evolution of Ford’s kinetic design language and following the same language as the new Focus and Fiesta, both very goodlooking cars. This can be the first cool minivan in the American market!
Being in tune with the time, the new C-Max also comes with highly efficient engines including the new lightweight, all-aluminum 1.6-liter Ford EcoBoost engine that combines high-pressure direct injection, low-inertia turbocharging and twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) for the best compromise between performance and above average economy.
The base engine offered as default for the new C-Max is the 2.5-liter iVCT I-4, optimized for small crossover application with plenty of low-end torque. Both engines are mated to Ford’s 6F35 automatic six-speed transmission with a gear ratio span allowing for responsive acceleration from rest yet fuel efficiency for around-town driving and steady cruising at speed.
Ford C-MAX has a 109.7-inch wheelbase and an overall length of 178 inches, comparatively close to the original minivans offered in North America. C-MAX delivers room for up to seven passengers or five occupants with a generous amount of cargo. The new model will solidify its appeal to customers that value comfortable accommodation, a high seating position, versatility and a “smart-sized” package.
One of most innovative features of the new Ford C Max is the industry-exclusive hands-free power-operated rear liftgate. It comes very handy when you are carrying a lot of stuff with both hands. It’s activated by by passing a leg motion under the rear bumper when the driver’s key fob is in his or her pocket.
The vehicle features twin sliding rear side doors and a clever new seat folding concept for second-row seats. The second-row seat is equipped with a unique mechanism that allows the middle seat position to fold quickly and easily under the right-hand seat, creating a handy walk-through space between the two outboard seats so passengers can easily access the third row, as well as two individual, bucket-like seats.
The second-row seats also have slide and recline functionality, adapting to multiple combinations of passenger seat positions and cargo capacity. Outboard second-row seats also have a tip-and-slide forward function for easy access to the third-row seats when the second row is used. The third-row seats can be omitted as a delete option, for those buyers electing to forgo the 5+2 seating arrangement.
The Ford C-MAX provides a raised “command bridge” cockpit with high-mounted gear shift and center console. The driver controls and displays incorporate available Ford SYNC and MyFord Touch, similar to the acclaimed layouts recently introduced in other Ford nameplates.
Among these new technologies are a host of features that will add convenience and luxury for customers and their families. Key offerings include:
- Hands-free rear liftgate, an industry first: Ideal when carrying several packages, as the Ford C-MAX hands-free liftgate is activated by passing a leg motion under the rear bumper when the driver’s key fob is in his or her pocket
- Active park assist: Helps select an appropriate parking space, calculates the trajectory and steers to properly position the vehicle. All the driver need do is operate the accelerator and brake pedals
- Speed limiter: Prevents a driver from exceeding a preset speed
- Panoramic roof: Allows for an expansive roof opening
- HD Radio™: Enables clearer radio reception with crisper sound reproduction
- Rear view camera: Enhanced visibility for safer reversing
- Intelligent Access with push-button start: The key fob unlocks Ford C-MAX as the driver approaches, and enables key-free engine starts at the push of an instrument panel-mounted button
- Heated sideview mirrors with integrated puddle lamps: Enhance cold weather visibility
In addition, Ford C-MAX offers popular Ford technologies and features, such as:
- Easy Fuel® (capless fuel filler): Provides a tight seal and eliminates loose-fitting or lost caps
- Sony® Audio System: Specifically tuned to Ford C-MAX cabin acoustics for superb sound reproduction
- Ambient lighting: Accent lighting in multiple colors, illuminating footwells and cupholders to harmonize with a driver’s mood
- Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control: Maintains desired temperature setting throughout Ford C-MAX cabin
- Sirius® Satellite Radio: Offers Ford C-MAX driver and passengers a diverse range of radio programming choices
- Front and rear parking aid sensors: Help the driver properly position the vehicle when parking
- Navigation System: Provides intuitive touch-screen operation
Safety and security
Ford C-MAX is anticipated to be a segment safety leader, having recently been awarded a Euro NCAP five star rating by this independent safety rating organization. Ford C-MAX achieved the highest score ever recorded for whiplash protection and excelled in both adult and child occupant safety. Ford C-MAX offers drivers and families a full complement of standard safety features, including:
- AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control™) with curve control: Helps maintain consistent vehicle stability
- Dual front and side airbags with smart occupant sensor: Help fine-tune airbag deployment to occupant by size, weight and belt status
- First-, second- and third-row Safety Canopy® side-curtain airbags: Envelop passengers, helping to prevent head and upper body injury
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Notifies driver of inconsistent tire pressure
- Driver and passenger-side blind spot mirrors: Add visibility for blind spot areas
- Strong body architecture with extensive use of high-strength steels: Helps to add body strength and rigidity
2012 Ford C-MAX,